Requirements and Personal Attitudes
With regard to your competencies, you are encouraged to familiarize yourself with the requirements of technical communication. As a technical writer trainee, you should possess the following:
- Linguistic talent and an affinity for technical issues
- Abstraction ability, analytical thinking, and multi-faceted technical understanding
- A deep understanding of target groups so that complex matters can be communicated appropriately
- An interest in visualization options and multimedia presentations (offline and online)
A willingness to communicate and self-confidence are recommended because one often needs to work and coordinate matters with colleagues and departments. All in all, language skills are very important in this profession. The ability to express oneself well in one's native language is essential. At the same time, foreign language skills are also becoming increasingly important due to the international nature of this profession.
- Analytical thinking
- Technical understanding
- Abstraction capability
- Interested in multimedia presentations
- Interested in innovations (e.g. smart information)
- Aptitude for language
- Motivations for writing
- Ability for convincing arguments
- Aptitude for articulateness
- Aptitude for interpersonal communication
- Empathy for target groups
- Ability to work in a team
- Self-confident appearance
Do you want know more about the Competencies?
The Academic Competence Framework gives an overview of all competence dimensions that are relevant for future technical writers.